Whether you need something to carry your classical guitar to lessons or you’re headed to a performance, having a suitable case is essential because it ensures the safety of your instrument and provides convenience and ease while traveling.
In this article, I will share the best classical guitar cases and gig bags that cater to different preferences and budgets, so let’s dive in and find the perfect one for your classical guitar.
Table of Contents
- How To Choose The Right Classical Guitar Case
- Top 5 Classical Guitar Gig Bag & Soft Case Recommendations
- 1. CAHAYA Padded Classical Guitar Gig Bag
- 2. Gator 4G Series Gig Bag For Classical Guitars
- 3. Hola! Music Pro Series Acoustic Guitar Case
- 4. Levy’s Leathers Deluxe Classical Guitar Gig Bag
- 5. SKB 1SKB-SC30 Thin-line Soft Case
- Top 5 Classical Guitar Hard Case Recommendations
- 1. Gator Cases Hardshell Wood Case
- 2. Gator Cases Deluxe ABS Hard Case
- 3. SKB 1SKB-30 Thin-line Deluxe Hardshell
- 4. Crossrock Deluxe Fiberglass Flight Case
- 5. Crossrock Air Series Carbon Flight Case
How To Choose The Right Classical Guitar Case
When considering a classical guitar case, several factors come into play, namely durability, padding, storage capacity, and overall design.
Like ones made for other kinds of guitars, there are two primary types of classical guitar cases: gig bags and hard shell cases, or just hard cases for short. However, there are also soft cases that function like a hybrid of the two.
A gig bag is lighter, portable, and perfect for carrying your guitar to local gigs or practice sessions, and they usually have pockets for accessories and are easier to store stuff. However, they don’t offer as much protection as hard cases, but there are plenty of options that can get pretty close!
On the other hand, a hard case is built to offer the best protection and is typically more expensive than a gig bag, but only sometimes, as there are premium gig bags and soft cases, too! One of the downsides to these, though, is that they don’t usually have as much storage, so it can be tough to keep larger accessories like footrests in them.
Nonetheless, these are made from sturdy materials like wood, ABS plastic, fiberglass, and carbon fiber, and they provide excellent resistance to impact, pressure, and adverse environmental conditions.
However, some hard cases are stronger than others; for example, a classical guitar flight case made from fiberglass or carbon fiber will be more durable than a standard one that’s made of wood.
That said, as you continue to read, you’ll find a variety of cases that can match your specific needs. Whether you’re a beginner or a professional musician, I’ve got you covered!
Top 5 Classical Guitar Gig Bag & Soft Case Recommendations
Individuals who want a lightweight solution to carrying their classical guitar and accessories around to local performances and lessons will benefit significantly from having a gig bag or soft case. Below, you’ll find many great options at different price points!
1. CAHAYA Padded Classical Guitar Gig Bag
This padded classical guitar gig bag by CAHAYA is excellent value for your money and one of the best if you’re on a budget!
With half an inch of sponge padding, a rubber base, and water-resistant material, this one is designed to keep your instrument anywhere you go. Plus, it has many pockets for all of your accessories, including your books and footrest!
- Thick Sponge: Thick sponge can prevent guitar from damage and thick adjustable straps makes it more comfortable to carry. Bag Dimension: 43.5″ x 17.9″ x 4.7″
- Material: Water resistent oxford fabric last longer time which is economical, practical, convenient and durable than the other materials.
- 6 Outer Pockets: Six pockets on the bag’s exterior provide convenient storage space for sheet music, strings, tuners, picks and other accessories.
- Dual-Use Design: You can carry it by hands if take it to a nearby place(handbag) or wear it with shoulders which makes your feel breezily when go hiking(backpack).
- Rugged and Protective: The sleek appearance and solid construction will keep the guitar from scratches and dirt, also the sturdy zipper and rubber shockproof base protect the guitar well.
2. Gator 4G Series Gig Bag For Classical Guitars
Gator is one of the most popular makers of various guitar cases and other types of accessories, and for those who are looking for a very solid all-around option, the 4G model for classical guitar is one you can’t go wrong with.
The padding is a bit thicker than the CAHAYA one, but it features fewer pockets for your accessories; however, the large compartment in the front will provide ample storage for most of you while simultaneously giving it a more streamlined appearance.
- 20mm Padded Gig Bag Designed to fit classical guitars
- Patent Pending Pick-Clip zipper pull holds spare guitar pick, Padded backpack style straps & reinforced carry handle Contour back padding for comfort
- Large Exterior pocket with mesh storage and internal headstock and bridge reinforcement to prevent wear
- Interior Dimensions: Body Length: 20.5″ Body Height: 4.25″ Lower Bout Width: 16″ Middle Bout Width: 14″ Upper Bout Width: 11.5″ Overall Length: 41″ (Inches)
- Exterior Length: 42.25 “,Exterior Width: 17.50 “, Exterior Height: 6.50 ” (Inches)
3. Hola! Music Pro Series Acoustic Guitar Case
The first of the hybrid cases on this list is this one by Hola! Music is an awesome choice for those who want the best of both worlds while also being conscious of your bank account.
Soft cases like this one provide even more durability than your standard gig bags (this offers a whole inch of padding!) while being lighter than a hard case and giving you more storage. Plus, it looks pretty stylish, if I do say so myself!
- EASY TO USE – Getting from gig to gig has never been easier. This guitar bag can fit guitars up to Full Size Acoustic with ease, and zips up with a full-length zipper for stress-free travel.
- ULTRA DURABLE – Play with peace of mind knowing this guitar gig bag has a stiff exterior that maintains its shape. The added neck pad ensures your guitar doesn’t go anywhere.
- FULL PROTECTION – Whether you’re packing up or playing hard, you’re perfectly protected. With a rubber bottom, rugged exterior, and 2 anti-scratch nylon pads, this hard guitar case really is all that!
- STORAGE – Tired of forgetting the little things? Our acoustic guitar bag comes with 2 padded outer pockets to hold anything from cables and picks to phones and wallets.
- CONVENIENT CARRYING – It isn’t hard to see why this hard shell guitar case is a fan favorite. While you’re touring tirelessly, carry your instrument easily with the 2 padded backpack straps and handle.
4. Levy’s Leathers Deluxe Classical Guitar Gig Bag
Speaking of style, the Levy’s Leathers Deluxe bag is one of the best-looking ones, in my opinion. Its tan-colored polyester exterior and brass zippers make it super classy while offering the features and practicality you need from a case.
Although it’s marketed as a gig bag, this is actually another hybrid option that has a lot of similarities with the Hola! Music one; however, I find that Levy’s Leathers has even better neck support and is molded to fit your guitar more snugly, providing even more security for your classical guitar.
- Polyester fabric construction with tan-colored exterior
- Padded, adjustable backpack straps, comfortable carry handle, and grab Handle
- Large, exterior zipper pocket with reinforced pouch inside & smaller pocket on front
- Antique brass metal zippers with leather pulls rear D-ring for clipping accessories
- Interior dimensions (instrument-specific): 41.00”/104.14 cm (overall length) x 15.50”/39.37 cm (lower bout) X 13.00”/33.02 cm (middle Bout) X 11.75”/29.85 cm (upper Bout) X 21.00”/53.34 cm (Body length) x 4.50”/11.43 cm (Body height)
5. SKB 1SKB-SC30 Thin-line Soft Case
If you’re looking for a premium soft case for your classical guitar, then look no further than this SKB Thin-Line series one!
Not only does this provide an optimum fit for your guitar and large accessory compartments, but the combination of the thick nylon exterior and EPS foam interior lining makes this one of the toughest cases while remaining lightweight and comfortable to carry around with you whether you use the backpack straps or carry it by the handle.
- Designed to fit most Thin-line Classical A/E Style guitars
- Heavy-duty double pull zipper
- Durable 600-denier exterior layered with rigid foam
- Molded EPS interior with plush lining
- 2 convenient exterior accessory pouches
Top 5 Classical Guitar Hard Case Recommendations
Hard cases are fantastic for those looking for the best protection for their classical guitars. Here are some of my top picks!
1. Gator Cases Hardshell Wood Case
Wood cases tend to be the most affordable choice when it comes to hardshell cases, and those wanting one that’s high quality without breaking the bank will enjoy this one by Gator, who makes a ton of cases for all kinds of guitars, not just classical ones.
The plywood used to create this case is layered with PVC plastic to protect the exterior from damage, whether water or dents, while your interior is lined with plush to give your classical guitar a cozy fit. Overall, this case has outstanding value for people who want better protection at a fair price.
- Designed to fit most Nylon String Classical Guitars
- Interior Dimensions: Body Length: 22. 9” Body Height: 4. 6” Lower Bout Width: 15” Middle Bout Width: 10. 4” Upper Bout Width: 11. 6” Overall Length: 40. 4”
- Ultra‐durable arch‐topped plywood construction with Black Tolex PVC covering stands up to years of use and abuse
- Ergonomic handle offers a comfortable grip, perfectly balancing the weight of your instrument
- Spacious interior accessory compartment organizes all your favorite guitar accessories, while providing additional neck support
2. Gator Cases Deluxe ABS Hard Case
Plastic hardshell cases, such as those made from ABS, like this Gator case, are fantastic alternatives to wooden ones if you have room to spend a little more on this upgrade.
ABS cases are more water-resistant and offer better shock protection and, therefore, are ideal for traveling longer distances. However, those who intend to fly with their high-quality classical guitars should consider a flight case instead due to their more robust size and TSA latches.
- Deluxe ABS exterior
- Heavy-duty aluminum valance
- Through-bolted handle for extra strength
- EPS foam protective interior with deep plush lining
- Accessory compartment
3. SKB 1SKB-30 Thin-line Deluxe Hardshell
One of the most affordable classical guitar flight cases you can get your hands on is the 1SKB-30 by SKB, which features a thicker and ultra-sturdy ABS plastic exterior and an ESP foam interior, with the addition of TSA latches, one of the most defining features of any flight case.
While traditional latches like the ones on the previous case are sufficient for going cross-country with your guitar in a car or van, TSA latches are even more secure while also making it quicker and easier for your case to be inspected by TSA (Transportation Security Administration) at the airport, making it less likely your instrument to get damaged overall.
- Advanced ABS molded plastic outershell
- Trigger latches with TSA lock
- Over-molded handle
- Injection molded feet
- Molded in bumpers
4. Crossrock Deluxe Fiberglass Flight Case
Although ABS plastic is a popular choice for hardshell cases, fiberglass takes your guitar’s protection up a notch and is one of the best choices of materials for flight cases. The only downside is that fiberglass can scratch more easily than ABS-molded cases due to its shiny surface, but they are extremely unlikely to get crushed.
Aside from the extra durability and TSA latches this case offers, this Crossrock classical guitar flight case also features backpack straps, which makes it convenient to carry around and leaves your hands free while at the airport. You can also find these in several colors to fit your personal taste!
- Extremely strong fiberglass hard shell case for 4/4 size classical guitar.
- Super thick high density padding with silk-like blue lining.
- Heavy duty latches, lock, and hardware.
- Genuine leather handle.
- Deluxe padded backpack straps.
5. Crossrock Air Series Carbon Flight Case
Those with very high-end classical guitars who want the very best of the best in their guitar case should take a look at the Crossrock Air Series. These flight cases are made from carbon fiber, which is not only the strongest material you can have but also lighter than fiberglass.
Like their fiberglass model, the padding in the Air Series Carbon is also gorgeous; however, to reflect the luxurious nature of this case, these are significantly more expensive than all other options. That said, if you want the cream of the crop of classical guitar cases, it helps to know what’s available to you.
- Designed for 4/4 Size Classical Guitars.
- Light as air and strong as steel. Net weight 5lb. Impact-resistant.
- 100% carbon fiber exterior. Rigid foam padding with premium lining.
- Easy latches with TSA lock. Crossrock original designed handle.
- Deluxe padded backpack straps. Free padded protective cover.
As you can see from the different kinds out there, finding the best classical guitar case for you is something that needs a bit of consideration. Whether you prefer a gig bag for easy mobility and storage options or a hard case for better protection, excellent choices are available to meet your needs.
Remember to consider the case material, weight, and fit when choosing yours; with the proper case, you can ensure your classical guitar remains in prime condition for years to come.
Also, if you want to keep your classical guitar in top shape, be sure to keep an eye out for your humidity levels. With a guitar case humidifier and a hygrometer, you can always be up-to-date on the conditions of your classical guitar case. Click here to learn more!