As a musician, I totally understand the value and sentiment attached to instruments – they are not just tools but rather extensions of our creativity and passion. Hence, storing and displaying these precious items requires careful consideration. One practical and stylish way to do this is through a guitar wall hanger.
Wall hangers are designed to hang your guitar safely, preventing potential damage while showcasing your instrument in all its glory and saving space on your floor, leading to a tidier room overall.
They come in various designs and can be easily mounted on your wall. So, whether you’re a professional musician or a hobbyist, a guitar hanger for the wall can be a great addition to your space.
Table of Contents
Things To Consider When Buying A Wall Hanger
Before you go shopping for a guitar wall hanger, there are certain factors you should consider.
First and foremost is the weight capacity of the mount. Make sure it can support the weight of your guitar or bass to avoid any mishaps.
However, most of the ones discussed here will support up to 15 pounds, which is more than enough for most instruments.
Second, consider the hanger’s design and material. It should be sturdy and durable to stay fastened to your wall and support your instrument and preferably come with padded arms to protect your instrument’s finish.
Regarding your guitar’s finish, be sure to check that the wall mount is safe to use on the type of that your guitar has – for example, not all of the arms are ideal for nitrocellulose and satin finishes but are suitable for standard ones.
Lastly, the installation process is an essential factor. The best guitar wall mounts are easy to install with clear instructions. Some even come with all the necessary mounting hardware. Remember, the safety of your instrument depends on how securely the hanger is mounted.
Safety Tips For Hanging Guitars & Basses on Your Wall
Speaking of safety, let’s discuss some tips for hanging guitars and bass on the wall.
Many people unfamiliar with mounting their instruments wonder if it’s safe to do so. I can assure you it is with the proper precautions, which you can learn about here, along with the other benefits of wall hangers for guitars.
First things first, if you can, try to mount your hanger into a stud in the wall, not just the drywall. Doing this will guarantee a firm and secure hold, allowing the hanger to support the weight of your instrument.
Drywall can become loose over time with humidity and temperature changes, so drilling into a stud will prevent accidents from happening.
However, if you cannot locate a stud, drywall anchors are also a viable solution that is entirely safe to use and are often provided with the hangers themselves.
Next, make sure to align your guitar hanger for the wall correctly. The neck of the guitar or bass should rest comfortably on the hanger without any strain.
Lastly, avoid hanging your instruments near heat sources or in direct sunlight. These conditions can damage the guitar’s finish and warp the wood, negatively affecting its sound and structure.
The Top Wall Hangers For Guitar & Bass
Below, you’ll find some of the finest wall mounts for your instrument! Any of these can make a great choice for your instruments, but take a look at their design and the features they offer.
Hercules GSP39WB PLUS
Right out of the gate, the Hercules GSP39WB PLUS is easily my favorite wall hanger due to its sheer reliability and living up to its brand’s name. It features an auto-grip system that automatically fastens the instrument in place once it’s placed on the hanger, and the NINA (Narrow Instrument Neck Adjustment) also allows this to secure even the thinnest necks and headstocks, such as Telecasters and mandolins.
When it comes to overall stability and versatility, it’s hard to beat these Hercules ones. Not only that, they’re quite affordable for all of the benefits they provide. Still, I recommend reading further to see some of the other great wall hangers you can find for your guitar or bass because one of them might suit your style more.
- Upgraded Universal Auto Grip System
- Specially Formulated Foam protects the finish on your instrument
- For acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitars, banjos, violins, mandolins, and ukuleles
String Swing CC01K
Another top-rated guitar wall hanger worth knowing about is the String Swing CC01K (Keeper). Made in the USA, this hanger boasts high-quality craftsmanship, and with its adjustable cradle and pivoting yoke, you can have peace of mind that your guitar is secure.
It’s worth noting that the CC01K is primarily designed for regular acoustic and electric guitars, so if you have a classical guitar or a bass, you should check out their CC01O (Original), as the design of that one is designed to accommodate instruments with wider necks.
- Deep cradle design that prevents the guitar from being improperly placed in its hanger. Padded with high density rubber to prevent damage to the guitar’s finish
- Yoke pivots to cradle the guitar’s headstock making it great for guitars which have a headstock with single or uneven heels
- Quick and easy installation using only a screwdriver
- Wood block is made of real hardwood. Made in the USA
- Trusted by over 10 million guitars since 1983
Gator Frameworks Wall Hanger GFW-GTR-HNGRBLK
If you’re looking for a modern and sleek design, the Gator Frameworks Wall Hanger is the way to go. Gator offers wooden mounted plates for some of their hangers, but I really like the standard black one the most because it can conceal the screws, which can give your hanger a seamless appearance.
What’s more, its foam wall pad prevents damage to your wall, such as scratches, during installation. Its rubberized swivel yoke fits the guitar’s headstock perfectly, and overall, it’s a simple yet effective wall mount that gets the job done, much like the String Swing one.
- Fits Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, and Bass Guitars
- Rubberized Swivel Yoke to Properly Cradle Guitar Neck
- Sleek Black Standoff Provides Clearance for Both Straight and Angled Headstocks
- Sleek Black Decorative Wall Plate Hides Mounting Hardware for Clean and Stylish Look
- Safe for standard polyurethane finishes, not recommended for vintage/lacquer finishes
The MuzicLight MZB101 is not just a guitar wall hanger; it’s an innovative piece of decor because it includes LED lighting that illuminates your guitar, turning it into a stunning wall display.
Coming in a variety of colors for the lights, these are fantastic if you have a studio and can definitely be inspiring to have. Aside from its main perk, these have a solid construction that ensures your instrument’s safety while, of course, adding a touch of style to your room.
- This guitar hanger with light has a headstock cradle made of solid steel and a foam coating that will protect and comfort the guitar. The body is made of durable plastic and entire unit engineered to safely hold 35 pounds.
- LEDs are controlled by an on/off switch. This maximizes battery life so a set of AA batteries will light up guitar on wall for over 200 hours. That is a guitar display for over a year under normal usage
- LED guitar mount is installed with a back plate and no exposed hardware on the body of the led guitar hanger after it’s installed. This gives the guitar wall hanger light a sleek clean look.
- The light up guitar wall mount uses dedicated colors, which means they do not change colors. The wall mount is designed this way to extend battery life. You will never turn on your Muziclight and have it not come on.
String Swing SW3RL
For those with multiple guitars, this 3-guitar rack by String Swing is an amazing solution for those who don’t want to install individual racks for each of their guitars and would prefer one super-durable unit. If you have more than three guitars, there is also a 5-guitar option too!
This multi-guitar wall hanger has a long aluminum and walnut base and includes their attachable CC03RL hangers, which you can face 30 degrees to the left or right, allowing you to safely show off your guitars without them overlapping and bumping into each other.
- Three (3) Adjustable hangers and one 24 inch slatwall rail with endcaps will display 3 guitars facing left or right or any desired angle in between. Easily supports up to 15lbs per hanger.
- Add more hangers or rails, move, rearrange and adjust to achieve your ideal display. Trusted by guitar lovers to hold priceless guitars for over 30 years. Used by music stores, museums, collectors and individuals around the world.
- Industrial grade aluminum slatwall with rich heirloom quality black walnut wood grain print makes a great addition to any room of your home. Hand welded steel and high density rubber padding keep your instruments safe
- Easy 10 minute installation using only a drill and a level.
- Handmade in Wisconsin USA
When installed correctly, a wall hanger is an excellent investment for every guitar or bass owner because it ensures your precious instrument’s safety, longevity, and display. Plus, it opens up more space compared to traditional guitar stands. Both types are great for storing your instrument, nonetheless, but mounting your guitar can add inspiration to any room.
To recap, here are my top 5 recommendations for the best guitar wall hangers, and hopefully, one of these will make their way into your home or studio:
So, what are you waiting for? Find the perfect guitar wall mount for your instruments and give them the place of honor they deserve on your wall. Just be sure to follow the instructions carefully, and you’ll be happy you’ve installed these!